- Rugs are not just there to help add comfort and warmth, it can also be used to breathe new life for your home interior
- If you want a rug that your kids can use, then you should buy one that can offer both functionality and beauty
- You can pick a thick rug if you want to create a cozy and comfortable living room
- Instead of buying one large rug that you can put underneath the bed, you can opt to use a 2 runners that you can place on either side of the bed
- Most carpet companies will sell rugs in standard sizes, but you can actually ask them to customize one for you depending on your own needs
Here are a few professional interior designer tips that you can consider so you can pick out the best area rug for your own home.
Area rugs have the starring role when it comes to giving a specific room a refreshing and beautiful appearance. Not only can the rug be used for comfort and warmth, it can add cushion and it can help define a certain area by enhancing its appearance.
Choosing the right area rug can actually be quite difficult. This is because you will have to choose the one that has the right pattern, color, material, and size. Homeowners also have to consider which rug would look best for the available space in their homes. Here are what interior designers have to say so you can easily pick out the right one:
Consider when to buy an area rug
While most homeowners buy the other decors first, interior designers suggest that you buy the area rug before the other elements that you want to put into the same room.
Interior design experts also say that it is easier to buy a sofa that will match your area rug than to buy an area rug that will match your sofa. This is why the rug has to be bought first.
Think about the rug material and its overall design
These two factors can be very difficult to decide upon, to help you narrow down your search, here is a list of what interior designers have to say.
- You need to consider the functionality and the level of comfort that it can provide first. This means that if you need a rug for a space in your home where your kids will play, then you will have to make sure that the rug can help provide cushion and comfort. For a cozy family room, you can also opt for thick area rugs. If you are on a budget on the other hand, you might want to opt for a jute rug or a dhurrie. Although these rugs are not able to provide a lot of comfort, they can actually provide much in terms of color and style.
- Use a different pattern. For those who have window treatment, or chairs that have small patterns, you can use a rug which has a large-scale pattern in a complimentary color. Doing so will help you avoid creating conflicting patterns and colors in one space.
- Create contrast. A light-colored rug can be used on dark floors while darker rugs like low-pile Berber carpets can go well with floors that have a light color.
Think about the size of the rug and the placement
Here’s what you need to remember when it comes to finding the right size and placement:
- For the living room, designers say that larger is better. You should try to find a rug that is large enough to reach the legs of the different furniture within the living room. The furniture can also be used to anchor the rug in place.
- For the dining room, your rug has to be at least 30 inches larger on all the sides of the table so that the chairs will easily fit inside the rug.
- For the entryway, you should put a small rug at least 4 inches away from the front of the door threshold so that the guest can easily use the rug before they enter.
- For the master bedroom, you can actually use two small runners or rugs that you can place on either side of the bed instead of having one large rug under it.
- For hallways, you need to leave at least 6 inches of floor space on each side of the rug. You should also consider buying a rug that will not easily wear out due to constant traffic.
Pro Tip for buyers
The standard rug has a dimension of 2x3 feet to 9x12 feet. It is possible however, for you to ask the carpet company to cut and bind the carpet to a specific size. Most companies will charge you $3 per foot if you want to make a custom-sized area rug.
Things you need to remember before you buy
If you want to make your purchase online, you should at least order a sample first. You should never trust your screen and you should only order online if you have no other option. If the online company does not sell samples, you should buy the smallest size so you can avoid costly mistakes.
You should also make sure that you have the rug pad, this is because it can help extend the life of both your rug and the floor underneath. It can also help you avoid accidents.